Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society

The Society was formed on 16th June 2004 with the aim of improving the knowledge of the public by giving them greater involvement in the wider community and promoting awareness of History, Folklore and the cultural heritage of the area. It was also formed to benefit the people of the greater Edenderry area regardless of class, creed or other opinion.

The first three years of our existence was spent researching the old Wade Pottery factory in Watson Street before launching our book ‘Irish Wade The History People and Products’, in the Millennium Court Arts Centre, Portadown in August 2007. This launch was immediately followed by a highly successful exhibition running from August until October 2007

In 2008 we released a smaller book ‘Edenderry Pictorial Past’.

This was followed in 2012 when we launched another successful book, ‘Portadown Foundry Limited’, and we put on a major exhibition of our foundry research work in the Millennium Court Arts Centre, Portadown.

We are currently researching ‘Portadown Gaslight Company’, and it is our intention to launch a book on the Company in 2018.

Other books planned for the future are ‘The Railway Station,’ ‘Hamilton Robb Linen Factory’ and a sequel to ‘Edenderry Pictorial Past’.

We hope the photographs and articles contained on our site bring back many memories.

We would ask all to take a minute and read some of our articles. To look us up on Facebook and follow.

Please see below for the constitution and vulnerable adult and child policy.

ECHS Constitution
ECHS Vulnerable Adult Policy
Last 5 Additions

Major Carryer’s Car
Major Carryer’s Car

LZ 8107 Morris station wagon.

In Watson Street (Railway Street) outside Wades pottery factory. This Morris was owned by Major Carryer, manager of Wades Portadown. The Major was married to Iris, daughter of Sir George Wade.
Pleasure Grdens 1950
Pleasure Grdens 1950

1950''s The Pleasure Gardens, the area has been halved since this photo was taken, no bandstand now,

The row of houses in background were on the left before the Bann Bridge approaching Edenderry.
1920’s Crrickblacker Road
1920’s Crrickblacker Road

1920''s Carricblacker Road.

Edenderry School on right, apart from the central Church building all others have gone.
George Best visits Portadown
George Best visits Portadown

George Bests Visit

Photo taken in the Ulster Arms,Edenderry.

Photo courtesy Portadown Times.
Boat house ghost
Boat house ghost

The first sighting of the ‘boat house ghost’ was documented around the turn of the 20th century and appeared in the ‘Belfast Newsletter’, more than 100 years ago. The original report is that a young woman was drowned in the River Bann and her body was recovered from the river, near the boathouse, at the bottom of Foundry Street in Edenderry some time later.

There was reported sightings of her ‘floating’ over the river and disappearing into the boathouse after midnight every night. These were accompanied by reports of tapping on residents windows and thumping on their doors all of which drove them to despair. The apparition could not only appear suddenly but also possessed poltergeist abilities, as it had the ability to be violent.

Local residents of Foundry Street, Edenderry reported weeks of spooky goings on. They became desperate and considered relocating en masse to another part of the town. However two men thought they had the answer and armed themselves with a Martin-Henry rifle, a type widely used in the 19th and 20th century. They vowed to give her “as much as would keep her from the locality for a fortnight”. At the next reported sighting of the spectre the two heroes immediately took the gun to the place where it was seen and found her still there. The man with the gun raised it to his shoulder, aimed for the spirit and fired. Certain that the target had been hit the two men rushed to the spot where they has seen it only to find nothing there.

The mens exploits did nothing to allay the fears of the residents, in fact quite the opposite as it made them more afraid. However the brave men with the gun promised to protect them, vowing that they would seek revenge if they ever saw the ghost again; they never did.

Total Hits: 1316 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society