Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�




WELCOME TO THE PORTADOWN FOUNDRY WEB PAGE.

The history of Portadown Foundry has been explored by Edenderry Cultural & Historical Society (ECHS)in a project thanks to a generous grant of £21k from the Heritage Lottery Fund(HLF)

The grant was awarded in late 2009 and has been used to record and interpret the history of the Foundry which was at the heart of local industry for 139 years. Portadown Foundry manufactured linen machinery and parts for the local linen mills and also exported these to Africa. They made agricultural equipment, parts for the railways, built barges to facilitate the canal trade and serviced the First and Second World War campaigns. In its later life, its structural steel work was used in the construction of new hospitals, factories and government buildings throughout Ireland. At its peak it employed in excess of 100 people. The Foundry was of great significance to both the local community and Northern Ireland's wider industrial heritage.

The culmination of over two years research work was delivered to the local and wider community by month long exhibitions hosted in the Millennium Court Arts and Edenderry Heritage Centres beginning 4th November 2011. The exhibitions told the story of the history of the Portadown Foundry by way of exhibits, photographs and DVD displays. The late Eric Dale OBE, Chairman of ECHS said "the exhibitions were well attended and recorded a very important part of our local industrial heritage which might have been otherwise lost forever."

The book, "A History of the Foundry 1844-1983" by authors Cardwell McClure and the late Wilson Steen was launched in Oct 2012. A substantial audience attended and enjoyed the launch, at which Mayor Carla Lockhart officiated.


For details of the book's availability and sources contact: cardwell.mcclure@btopenworld.com and Mob 07789550738. Details also on an attached picture.






Uploaded Foundry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Portadown help the government in the 2nd WW
Portadown help the government in the 2nd WW

A little fact known about Portadown Foundry is they assisted the government in the 2nd WW by helping to produce the tanks that helped in the DDay landings.

Foundry book
Foundry book

A page from our foundry book

Thank You Trevor
Thank You Trevor

Trevor''s resignation from the post of Honorary Treasurer of the Society



A Talk on Portadown and the Railways by Arnold Sleator.
A Talk on Portadown and the Railways by Arnold Sleator.


A Mary Peters Story.
A Mary Peters Story.

An Excerpt from the book '' A History of Portadown Foundry 1844 - 1983''.

The African Head Story - Addendum to The History of the Foundry Book.
The African Head Story - Addendum to The History of the Foundry Book.




foundry book
foundry book

book

Sequel to ''The Dickie Lunn Footballing Story''
Sequel to ''The Dickie Lunn Footballing Story''


''The Dickie Lunn Fotballing Story''
''The Dickie Lunn Fotballing Story''




A History of Portadown Foundry
A History of Portadown Foundry


List of Accredited Book Sellers
List of Accredited Book Sellers


The Portadown Gasworks Gates Project
The Portadown Gasworks Gates Project


1 2 3 4 5 next

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 73196 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society