Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�



Gas Works Home



Uploaded Gas Works Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Asda opening
Asda opening

See some of our members with Dame Peters at the opening of Asda in 2012

Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This was the original site of Mr Stanley’s house this photograph was taken before the hotel was knocked down to make way for an Almac’s car park.

Asda’s construction
Asda’s construction

Asda’s construction May 2012



Photo of Gasworks
Photo of Gasworks

In this photograph see the view that people seen of the Gasworks coming from Joseph Street and the corner of Bridge Street.

Retort House
Retort House

The Gasworks Retort House

Gasworks Showroom Opening
Gasworks Showroom Opening

The Gasworks Showhouse was opened in the early 1960’s in the background see the retort house and the boiler stack.



Cookery demonstration early 1960’s
Cookery demonstration early 1960’s

A cookery demonstration at Portadown Gasworks early 1960’s.
Names left to right Mr Roberts, Mr McCourt, Unknown, Mr Corbett, Mr Stanley Chairman, Mr Clegg Salesrep

The Portadown Gasworks gates restored.
The Portadown Gasworks gates restored.

A lot of work was put into restoring the Gasworks gates. See them in the position they were Historical, kindly Asda allowed this to happen. Many thanks go The the 2 members in the photograph for all their hard work.

previous 1 2

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 73195 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society