Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�



Edenderry Home

Eden Hall Files

Uploaded Edenderry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Eden Hall
Eden Hall

The Armstrong House known in the Edenderry area as Eden Hall was demolished in the 30''s.
It stood on the present site of the all-weather hockey pitch at Chambers Park.

Photo courtesy 1989 RFC YEARBOOK

Special Path to Eden Hall
Special Path to Eden Hall

Relic of the past are the original gates into Watson Street by which Mr Armstrong of Eden Hall could get to his factory Armstrong Linen & the railway station was by way of a special path across the swampy ground from his house.
See copy of 1907 ordnance survey map with the path mentioned coloured red.

Gate Lodge
Gate Lodge

The Gate Lodge is outlined in pink on the aerial photo.The people who lived in the Lodge prior to Eden Hall being demolished in the early 30''s worked in it.
It was opposite the Orange & Parochial halls.



Eden Hall
Eden Hall

This is the only photo we have on Eden Hall at the moment.
We would like to see others.

1

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 82775 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society