Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�



Edenderry Home

Eden Villa Files

Uploaded Edenderry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


The March Hare in the grounds of Eden Villa
The March Hare in the grounds of Eden Villa

Another beautifully carved sculpture in the grounds of Eden Villa (2008)

Eden Villa Gardens/Park 2008
Eden Villa Gardens/Park 2008

Tree stump sculpture of the Mad Hatter (Alice in Wonderland) guards the path to the ''''Secret Garden'''' which was once the walled garden of Eden Villa

Eden Villa
Eden Villa

EDEN VILLA - Bachelors Walk
It was a two-story farmhouse, with a range of out-building''s, surrounding two courts, also walled garden, with quite large areas of landscaped planting.

Construction was probably field-stone in mud and lime mortar, with brick reinforcements, at the corners,openings and chimneys, all being harled and limed washed.

Apparently of 18th century origin. The building was added to and altered in the first half of the 19th century.

The central hallway contained an attractive transverse staircase. Unfortunately the property fell into disrepair and was demolished.
It has been turned into a beautiful Park & is maintained by the local council.
Photo courtesy C. McClure
Reference Ulster Architectural Heritage Society Craigavon.



1

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 82864 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society