Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�



Edenderry Home

Hamilton Robb Weaving Factory Files

Uploaded Edenderry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Hamilton Robb Chimney being demolished
Hamilton Robb Chimney being demolished

The chimney was demolished in August 1985.

Photo courtesy Mrs D Mullan.

Hamilton Robb Chimney
Hamilton Robb Chimney

This photo was taken in August 1985 at Hamilton Robb weaving factory.Note smoke coming from chimney for last time.It was demolished on the day photo was taken.

Photo courtesy Mrs D Mullan.

Factory Dinner Town Hall - 1937
Factory Dinner Town Hall - 1937

Photo coutesy of Rotary.



Hamilton Robb Winding Dept -late 30''s
Hamilton Robb Winding Dept -late 30''s

We would appreciate yor help in identifying the ladies.We understand the photo was taken in late 30's at the factory. Our thanks to Mrs April Hamilton
for allowing us to use it.

Lighters - Hamilton Robb/River Bann
Lighters - Hamilton Robb/River Bann

The photo shows lighters moored on the river Bann at the rear of Hamilton Robb's factory in Edenderry having sailed across Lough Neagh from Belfast.
The lighters were poled out from the bank with long poles and a horse pulled them to the Point of Whitecote and then up the Newry Canal to Newry.
In the 1930's engines superceded horsepower.
Look how clear from weeds the river was compared to today.
We thank Cecil Allen for donating the photo to the Edenderry Historic Society.

1

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 82883 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society