Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�



Edenderry Home

Portadown College Files

Uploaded Edenderry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Portadown College
Portadown College

This photo was taken about 1948 in a snow covered play ground in Portadown College, Edenderry. Note one of the teachers mingling with the pupils in his robes.

The school actually started life in 1921 as the Carleton Collegiate School in St Mark''s former Parochial Hall in Carleton Street; its founding headmaster was Mr W J Warren M.A., who before war service in 1914-18 had been joint principal of Banbridge Academy.

The new school grew rapidly and larger premises were acquired in October 1924 when Mr Hamilton Robb''s dwelling house on the Edenderry bank of the River Bann was purchased by a group of prominent local citizens and made available to Mr Warren.

The total cost of £4,400, including improvements, was raised by a loan from the Ulster Bank on the personal security of these seven local Trustees. They were

William Moffat Clow, Miller
William Laird Cowdy, Linen Manufacturer
Thomas Cordner, Merchant
George Dougan, Medical Doctor
John Davison, Merchant
Samuel Lutton, Linen Manufacturer
David William Thornton, Merchant.

A courtyard/assembly hall block was added in 1927, and finally the large new classroom/laboratory wing added in 1936.

Space soon ran out again, however, and in 1949 the Preparatory Department of the College moved to a second and larger site on the Killicomaine Road. In 1962 the rest of the school moved up there too, and the old buildings were taken over for a variety of other uses - most recently as "Bann House", area headquarters for the musical activities of the Southern Education and Library Board.


Photo courtesy of Mrs Woodman and research courtesy of Craigavon Historical society



1

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 72875 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society