Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�



Edenderry Home

Shops Files

Uploaded Edenderry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Fleet Daleway cars outside office in Edenderry
Fleet Daleway cars outside office in Edenderry

This photo shows the Daleway 'fleet' of Mini learner driver cars outside the Edenderry office c1964.

(Eric will write a detailed caption for this in due course.)

Shops
Shops

Mr and Mrs Moffett had a photography shop at top of Watson Street overlooking Edenderry square.

Photo courtesy Mr D Mullan.

Hoys butchers
Hoys butchers

Old photo of Hoys butchers.

Courtesy of John Hoy



Sale of 90 Bridge Street Shop
Sale of 90 Bridge Street Shop

Notice of the sale appeared in Portadown Times August 1980.
Gordon Speers Carpets trades from these premises today.

Photo courtesy of Portadown Times

The Tool Box Shop
The Tool Box Shop

The building jutting out on the right hand side was Sam Brown's Tool Box Shop.

Photo courtesy of Richard Edgar.

Tom Raymond's Shop
Tom Raymond's Shop

Tom Raymond opened his shop at 81 Bridge Street in 1922.
The boy standing in doorway of 79a was Arthur Allen & through the door upstairs the Brethern held religous meetings. It was known as The Brethern Meeting House. The meetings were conducted by Greaves of the factory in the Annagh & Peattie of Carpet factory.
We would like to know names of the 3 other men in photo.

Photo courtesy of Ross Raymond



Mrs Branyan's Shop
Mrs Branyan's Shop

This photo was taken late 40's early 50's.A cobbler traded from the house before Mrs Branyan had it renovated. Note the cobblers sign above the shop.It was at top of James Street on the Carrickblacker Road. JP's chippy took over when Mrs Branyan retired.
The door on extreme left took you into Gerry Neillin's milk store.
The door next to it was the home of the 3 McNulty girls, Lena, Louie & Mabel.
McClements who made head stones for graves lived in the house on the right of the shop.
His business was in Bridge Street next door to the car dealer Edwin May.
Mrs Branyan made the best toffee apples in the area & people came from near & far to sample them.
Photo courtesy of Mrs Branyan.

Shops in Edenderry
Shops in Edenderry

The ones we can identify are from left to right,at the end with the sign - Avery Scales,J Pentland & Son,Bairds the hairdresser & S Lyttle.If anyone can remember the others please let us know & also the band.
We thank Mrs Jean Milligen for permission to use the photo.

Mrs Elsie Dale & Mrs Winnie Branyan
Mrs Elsie Dale & Mrs Winnie Branyan

Well known sisters who traded in the Edenderry area in the 50's& 60's.
Mrs Dale had her grocery/confectionary shop in Bridge Street & Mrs Branyan had hers at the top of James Street. Note the picture on the wall is of the old thatched cottage on Bachelors Walk.Sadly both cottages were demolished years ago



Bridge Street - Marshall Funeral Undertakers
Bridge Street - Marshall Funeral Undertakers

This is an old photo showing the firm of Marshall Funeral Undertakers beside J. Vance's shop.
All of the little houses to the right of Vance's shop have been turned into shops. Note the cars & pony & trap outside the undertakers.This photo would have been taken from the entrance to Watson street.
We would like to thank Mr R Brady for allowing us to use the photo.

1

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 82880 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society