Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
ÔŅĹ



Edenderry Home

Tavern Bar Files

Uploaded Edenderry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


Railway Tavern
Railway Tavern

The Tavern with it''s commanding view of the Square.
If anyone can date the photo we would like to hear from you.
Photo courtesy of Richard Edgar.

Tavern Bar Dart's Team
Tavern Bar Dart's Team

This team represented the Bar in Dart's League.


Photo courtesy Portadown Times.

The summer seats at Ellis's pub (Tavern Bar)
The summer seats at Ellis's pub (Tavern Bar)

We can identify Malcolm Lavery who lived in Watson Street in centre of photo & Sammy Loney who lived in Joseph Street on the extreme right.
We would like to hear from anyone who can identify the gentleman on the extreme left.
Note the old houses of Bridge Street in the background.
The summer seats were in front of Ellis''s pub & this was a very popular spot for the men of the area to meet to discuss the local gossip.
Our thanks to Mrs Jean Milligan for permission to use this photo.



Bridge Street - The Tavern Bar
Bridge Street - The Tavern Bar

THE TAVERN BAR 100 BRIDGE STREET, PORTADOWN

This bar is not recorded on the survey map of 1858 but it is shown on the 1907 Ordnance Survey Map.
The first legal record indicates a copy lease dated 7th December,1901 Nicholas Bleakley to Isaac Ellis therefore the bar was built some time between 1858 & 1901.
The premises have been in the sole ownership of the Ellis family from 1901 to 1978.
Whilst known as The Tavern Bar the local people always referred to it as Ellisís.
The current owners are Mr & Mrs George McGaffin.
On close examination of the photo which probably dates around the turn of the century you will note that no houses at that time had been built on the right hand side of Carrickblacker Road.
Our thanks to Mr George McGaffin for allowing us to use this photo.
If anyone has any interesting articles or old photos of the inside or outside of the bar please get in touch with us.



1

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadowní s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900ís
Deliveries in the early 1900ís

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didnít see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 72829 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society