Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society
�



Edenderry Home

General Files

Uploaded Edenderry Photos - click a photo to see an enlarged picture with further info.


A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.

Carrickblacker Road
Carrickblacker Road

An early photo of the Carrickblacker road. This photo is our gasworks book and our first book a pictorial past of Portadown , noticed the houses on the left would have been roughly at the entrance to BT.

Edenderry Stores
Edenderry Stores

An early photo of Edenderry Stores



Over the bridge
Over the bridge

An early photo of Edenderry

Early advertisement
Early advertisement

An early advertisement from Edwin May

Opening of Chambers Part
Opening of Chambers Part

Who remembers the opening of Chambers Park?



1920’s aerial photo
1920’s aerial photo

Thanks goes to Portadown photographs

Local famous artist
Local famous artist

Charles Lamb - 1893 - 1964

The famous Irish artist Charles Lamb, born and bred in Bridge Street Portadown. This photograph was taken By Joe Wright .

Charles''s favourite spot for painting was Connemara and the west coast of Ireland. Some of his works hang in the Irish National Gallery in Dublin. Our local hotel ''The Seagoe'' have about three of his works on permanent display.

Pleasure Grdens 1950
Pleasure Grdens 1950

1950''s The Pleasure Gardens, the area has been halved since this photo was taken, no bandstand now,

The row of houses in background were on the left before the Bann Bridge approaching Edenderry.



1920’s Crrickblacker Road
1920’s Crrickblacker Road

1920''s Carricblacker Road.

Edenderry School on right, apart from the central Church building all others have gone.

Boat house ghost
Boat house ghost

The first sighting of the ‘boat house ghost’ was documented around the turn of the 20th century and appeared in the ‘Belfast Newsletter’, more than 100 years ago. The original report is that a young woman was drowned in the River Bann and her body was recovered from the river, near the boathouse, at the bottom of Foundry Street in Edenderry some time later.

There was reported sightings of her ‘floating’ over the river and disappearing into the boathouse after midnight every night. These were accompanied by reports of tapping on residents windows and thumping on their doors all of which drove them to despair. The apparition could not only appear suddenly but also possessed poltergeist abilities, as it had the ability to be violent.

Local residents of Foundry Street, Edenderry reported weeks of spooky goings on. They became desperate and considered relocating en masse to another part of the town. However two men thought they had the answer and armed themselves with a Martin-Henry rifle, a type widely used in the 19th and 20th century. They vowed to give her “as much as would keep her from the locality for a fortnight”. At the next reported sighting of the spectre the two heroes immediately took the gun to the place where it was seen and found her still there. The man with the gun raised it to his shoulder, aimed for the spirit and fired. Certain that the target had been hit the two men rushed to the spot where they has seen it only to find nothing there.

The mens exploits did nothing to allay the fears of the residents, in fact quite the opposite as it made them more afraid. However the brave men with the gun promised to protect them, vowing that they would seek revenge if they ever saw the ghost again; they never did.

1906 aerial map of Edenderry Portadown
1906 aerial map of Edenderry Portadown

A 1906 aerial map of Edenderry. If Anyone has any information on any of the buildings within the area please let us know.

1 2 3 next

Last 5 Additions

A little known fact
A little known fact

Portadown’ s water supply used to be pumped direct from the River Bann with it so steam pump where the Regal cinema/ entertainment centre is now.
The old Town Hall
The old Town Hall

Who remembers the old Town Hall?
Deliveries in the early 1900’s
Deliveries in the early 1900’s

An old photo showing deliveries to Brankins Pub around the 1900.
The gentleman standing in centre of gateway is believed to be Thomas Brankin, The gentleman on extreme left of photo is believed to be Eamonn''s great grandfather Thomas Brankin.

The photograph was taken about 1900, Brankins Bar then would have been considered to be on the edge of town, nowadays the site would be considered as the centre of The Tunnel. Obins Street.

Brankin''s used to board people and stable horses in the buildings at the rear of the Pub.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
The old signal coming into Portadown north side.

The old signal coming into Portadown north side.
Carngrove Hotel
Carngrove Hotel

This photo shows the Carngrove Hotel being demolished. This was Mr George Stanley (who was the managing director of the gasworks till his death in 1975) house which he made into the hotel. Unfortunately he didn’t see it as he passed away shortly after getting the licence for alcohol. You can read more about Mr George Stanley in the Gasworks book.

Total Hits: 72853 © copyright 2017 Edenderry Cultural and Historical Society